With new power plants in operation, the people of Eresfjorden have once again confirmed their willingness to create value for their village. Farms in Eresfjorden have historically had the ability to create industry and find sources of income beyond the traditional agriculture. Modern power plants are actually second generation plants in the river. Already in 1924, Torvald L. Jørstad built a power plant in the area. The intake was located in the Dokkelva river. The waterway consisted of a 250-metre, homemade wooden chute with a diameter of 60 cm. Kværner Brug supplied the turbine, as it did to many other plants at the time. It had an output of 50 hp. The generator was supplied by NEBB and had an output of 36 kW. The plant delivered power to several subscribers in Eresfjorden, including Lervold konfeksjon. The power plant was in operation until the turn of the year 1953 to 1954. From that point, the “Aura plant” took over.
There was little focus on health, safety and the environment at that time. At one point, signs were put up at the intake with the following words:
“Do not touch the dam or anything that belongs to the dam”.
Salmon fishing has always been important for Eresfjorden. Following the Aura development, Statkraft established hatcheries to ensure good access to salmon fry. “Salmon tourism is still highly popular, and tours are often booked several years in advance.
After 58 years without power plants in the river, it is again time for power production in Kanndalen and Dokkelva. Good planning and good collaboration with all parties that participated in the development has resulted in a power plant that landowners, villagers and Småkraft can be proud of.
The power plant is located in Eresfjorden, The intake to Dokkelva power plant is located at the power station in Kanndalen. The project started in March 2010. In connection with the development, a temporary water supply to Eresfjorden was established.